Tom Puertollano tops PMA Class of 2012 “mistahs” in “Bagwis”






FORT DEL PILAR, Baguio City ,Philippines – A son of a carpenter and a market vendor from Lipa City, Batangas has topped this year’s graduates from the Philippine Military Academy (PMA).

Besting 186 of his “mistahs” in “Bagwis” (Bagong Kawal ng Nag-iisang Lakas) class of 2012, 21-year-old Tom Puertollano said his diligence in his studies placed him at the top of his class. “Aral lang (Just study),” he said.

Puertollano was an engineering scholar at the Batangas State University when he decided to enter the PMA in 2008. “I realized I still needed my parents’ support (even with the scholarship),” he said when asked why he left Batangas State University.

“I entered the PMA to free my parents from the financial burden of sending me to school. I made the right decision,” he said. “This (graduating from PMA) is dedicated to my family, especially my mother (Barbara),” Puertollano said.

His mother died in his arms in August last year from pancreatic cancer. “I dreamt of graduating with my mother on my side,” he said. “But I feel she will be by my side. I will do everything to make them (family) and her (mother) happy.”

“I used to help my carpenter father in doing menial jobs in a construction company, under the watchful eyes of an uncle who was the foreman,” Puertollano said in a statement issued by the Army.

“This is among my memorable experiences that had shaped my life, leading to my decision to enter the PMA,” he added.

He said he joined judo classes and competitions to improve his combat skills. He also played badminton in the academy to relieve stress.

He would always set aside a “substantial amount” of his allowance for his family to help in the schooling of his younger brother.

Puertollano said his parents visited him only twice during his stay at the academy. His father, Mario, 52, and three siblings are expected to attend his graduation on Sunday.

“When I was a second year cadet, I heard many tales about the Army soldiers and their jobs in the communities. I am inspired by the exceptional jobs performed by the soldiers, helping the people in their areas of assignments, especially the so-called peace and development missions,” he said.

“I want to make use of all my military skills and knowledge learned in the academy during the time I will become a platoon leader in the field,” he said.

“I want to focus myself on my highly demanding job as a soldier-leader. I want to succeed in my endeavor so I will ensure that my time is devoted to service.”

Aside from the Presidential Saber, Puertollano also received the Presidential Academic Excellence Award, JUSMAG Award, Australian Defense Award, Academic Group Award, Humanities Plaque, Social Sciences Plaque, Management Plaque, Army Professional Course Plaque and the Spanish Armed Forces Award.

PMA Superintendent Maj. Gen. Nonato Peralta called the new graduates “a new breed of officers” that the country can be proud of. “We are confident that we will be leaving a cadet corps that respects human rights because values like discipline, anti-maltreatment, honor and ethics are deep in the Bagwis class and the classes after them,” Peralta said.

“There will be no corruption, but they will be agents of change,” Peralta said.

“They are educated in bayanihan (team work),” hence, “they are not only warriors but peace builders. This class can talk to anyone, even to the NPA and other groups, to support good governance.

“This class will not lead any coup d’etat because it is deep in them that although issues are there, professionalism is primary,” he said.

“There are avenues towards change, other than coups,” Puertollano said. He will be absorbed by the Army as second lieutenant after his graduation on Sunday, Army spokesman Maj. Harold Cabunoc said.

“Cadet Puertollano is among the would-be Army officers who were received by Army chief Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista at the Army headquarters after finishing their on-the-job training at the 16th Infantry Battalion in Baras, Rizal last week,” Cabunoc said.

“As a young student in high school, he found himself helping his parents earn a living to support his studies,” he said.

Cabunoc said Puertollano has chosen the Army even if some of his distant relatives are working in the Air Force.

“Meeting soldiers was quite normal to him because his school was inside the Air Force base,” Cabunoc said.

Meanwhile, 22-year-old Jose Mari Cabrera of Cebu City emerged second in PMA batch 2012, while Lucien Jay Gumban Caiman of Taguig City landed in 3rd spot.

A female cadet, Angeline Osorio Esmeria of Taguig City, was fourth. Esmeria said she struggled with her weight problem while in the academy.

“A lot of people teased me about my being fat, now I can only say thank you to them, there is no hatred, eh talaga naman mataba ako (I was really fat anyway).”

Esmeria said there was no weight requirement in the academy but a cadet has to keep up with rigorous training.

“My favorite food is chicken,” she said sheepishly. She said her weight is now down to 70 kilos from 80 kilos when she joined PMA.

“The training is meant to keep your weight down,” she said.

Placing fifth was Jethro Olavidez of Zamboanga Sibugay while another Batangueño – Aron Lessler Quiao Regimen – took 6th place.

The seventh placer was Dyan Karl Tolledo Cabigas of Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, followed by Fel Balambao Saguin of Zamboanga del Sur, Rone Jo Ora Manganaan of Rosales, Pangasinan, and Christopher Cerbo Juan of Tagum City, Davao del Norte.

There are only 104 incoming plebes for class 2016 out of the more than 21,000 applicants.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to get the update...

Enter your email address: 

Find a job

www.careerjet.ph

Back to TOP